First Star Academy is a college preparation program which supports the academic and social emotional goals of youth in care throughout high school. This program includes monthly Saturday workshops that focus on life skills and academic preparation on the Illinois State University campus throughout the school year, opportunities for peer connections with other college-bound youth in care, and a three-week summer residential campus immersion program at Illinois State University. During the three-week summer immersion program, students will participate in academic enrichment classes, social support seminars, creative arts, and community service learning projects. Caregiver education workshops are also provided as part of this program. First Star Academy students receive:
1. We are seeking students who meet these eligibility requirements by being:
2. Students should complete the student portion of the application.
3. Adult recommending the student should complete the Adult Recommendation portion of the application.
4. Student’s caseworker or counselor should complete the Caseworker/Counselor Recommendation portion of the application. (This person can also serve as the recommending adult).
5. Provide student’s most recent report card noting student’s GPA with guardian permission to release academic information to First Star Illinois State University Academy Director.
Once the completed application has been received, a selection committee will review all eligible candidates in order to select the top 15 students to participate in the First Star Academy. Selection will be based on a combination of: academic potential, student written responses, adult and Caseworker/Counselor recommendations, and an interview. Both the student and the adults making the recommendation will be notified regarding acceptance into the First Star Academy. The program will officially begin in January 2018.
For more information, please contact:
Dr. Deneca W. Avant, First Star ISU Academy Director at Illinois State University School of Social Work
275 S. University Street
201 Rachel Cooper
Normal, IL 61790-4650